Humanitarian Engineering & Science: Environmental Engineering

This track focuses on applying the principles of environmental engineering to improve the lives of communities and the natural environments in which they exist

Humanitarian Environmental Engineering spans a wide range of topics including:

  • Effective sanitation
  • Air quality management
  • Sustainability
  • Safe drinking water
  • Water resource management
  • Environmental remediation and monitoring

Environmental Engineering advisor:
Junko Munakata Marr,

Required Courses

Regardless of track, all HES graduate students take the required core EDNS courses.
*See those on homepage

Environmental Engineering Professional Degree Requirements:

  • GPGN 577 Humanitarian Geoscience
  • CEEN 550 Principles of Environmental Chemistry
  • CEEN 580 Chemical Fate and Transport in the Environment
  • 2 additional courses of GPGN, CEEN, or MNGN 500 or above – see current list here
  • EDNS 580: HES Capstone Practicum

Environmental Engineering Thesis Degree Requirements:

  • GPGN 577 Humanitarian Geoscience
  • 3 additional courses of GPGN, CEEN, or MNGN 500 or above – see current list here
  • 6 thesis research credits

Electives for all students: CEEN 500- or 600-level courses can be substituted, as approved by the CEEN Program Coordinator

Application Requirements
  • A BS degree in a science or engineering discipline is required. Pre-requisites include two semesters of college calculus, one semester of college physics, two semesters of college chemistry and one semester of college statistics. Candidates will need to have completed the necessary prerequisites for the Environmental Engineering and Science degree, also found in the Mines graduate catalog.
  • Statement of purpose, updated curriculum vitae or resume and transcripts for post-secondary degrees are required for all students.
  • Three letters of recommendation are required for students pursuing the MS thesis option.
  • Non-native English speakers must prove language proficiency. Please review requirements provided by the graduate admissions office.
  • Mines undergraduate students may include up to 6 credits from their undergraduate program counted toward a combined BS/MS degree. External applicants may transfer graduate credit from elsewhere with written permission from the HES program director.
  • Applications are directed through the graduate admissions office.